Friday, January 20, 2012

Smurfette and other Stereotyped Women of my Childhood

Today I ran across an article titled Ten Worst and Best Cartoon role models for Girls. While the article was mildly comedic, it was also thought provoking. Suddenly, I realized that the cartoons of my childhood, though awesomely hilarious, I now realize were also very sexist and demeaning.


Smurfette was a creation of Gargamel, you know, the bad guy.  He created her to basically cause discord amongst the male smurf community. And as you know, the entire smurf community was male. She was created with Sugar, spice and....a half pack of lies (everything nice was omitted to ensure optimal levels of evil). This evil smurfette had black wiry somewhat course hair and a big nose. so I guess she was ugly, however I will not even begin to go into that issue. Since the hell when is dark wiry hair ugly. During the cartoon she set the smurfs up twice, once on purpose and the other by mistake. Of course she made several mistakes, she 's a girl... Anyhow, Pap smurf decided to arrest her and she then received a trial. Her peers, because they were all in love with her, set her free and she begged to be a real smurf. And this my friend is when the magic happened. Papa Smurf allowed her to become a real smurf  by breaking her evil curse. Once the spell was broken, Smurfette's hair grew, became soft and golden blond, her nose shrank, her flats turned into heels and her white dress got some ruffles. This is how Smurfette was born.

Judy Jetson was a futuristic All-American teenager complete with a phone addiction, which I can say is a pretty realistic depiction of a high school girl. My issue with her, is that she had absolutely no goals. I can't recall a moment when she talked about passing a test, going to college, or what she wanted to do as an adult. Perhaps in the future girls won't have to worry about manly stuff like careers and education....







Cheetara from the Thundercats was absolutely amazing. She had superspeed and could see into the future and the past. Unfortunately both of her powers would tire her out to the point of sever fatigue that could last for days. Though I think she is amazing, I find it interesting that her weapon is a staff that grows to any length and shoots out white beams....




 Cover Girl from G.I. Joe. As her name suggests, this chick was a former super model. She joined the military because she became bored with her career. That's cool. My issue is that she pretty much dated every single Joe. Some may call that liberating. I call it nasty. We all know soldiers in combat don't bathe often. Can you say STD...


 I will end my rant with Daphne, the hot red headed girl, and Thelma, the not-so-hot-but-super-smart (and possibly a lesbian) girl. So Daphne was pretty and Fred really dug her. She was in constant need of protection, helpless, and not very bright. She was well dressed in her fitted purple top and purple mini skirt. Thelma was a freaking genius and no one cared. Her clothes were frumpy, her turtle neck was large and her skirt was knee length. Thelma's outfit looks like what I wear to work! Daphne often had guys in tow. Thelma not so much. I mean, think about it, who want a chick who can take care of her self...

If my list jogged your memory of any other cartoons that seem a little odd as an adult, please comment! Have a good day!




No comments:

Post a Comment